Thursday, April 19, 2012

Seeing Red

Neon is hot this year.  Let's be honest, it's on trend almost every summer.  But something about neon brights positively unsettles me - they're almost a tad too bright, overly flashy,  a wee bit painful to look at, even.

So my go-to color this season?  Glorious, classic RED!

Maybe it's my complete adoration of all things Minnie Mouse, but red is a tried and true favorite.  It's romantic, a bit classic, whimsical at times, and always very exciting.  My one fantasy fashion item?  A red quilted Chanel bag; the time-honored style just so sigh-inducing in fire engine red.
 


But back to reality?  What are the items I plan on picking up this summer?

Well, for starters, there is a fun version out there, and at a fraction of the cost.  Kate Spade's quilted leather shoulder bag has a very similar vibe - but with a punky twist thanks to her chunky metallic clasp.


Feeling a little less adventurous?  A dash of this gorgeous color could be just the thing to pep up your wardrobe.

Joan Rivers makes a fabulous necklace, and clocking in at under $50 on Iqvc.com (and under $30 on Ebay.com), it's completely budget friendly.  Always a huge fan of her statement jewelry, her line is always a must-see for affordable, weighty dazzlers.



And let's not forget at the pool!  I got a taste for fun bathing suit attire last summer during a ladies-only trip to the Jersey Shore - my 1950's style halter bikini from Victoria's Secret adorned with a lovely set of white vintage beads can only be trumped by this Beach Ray perfect polka dot silliness.


While I'm in Miami this summer at a friend's bachelorette party with, of course, everyone in town donning the dreaded neon, I will be coquettish and delightful at the very height of Minnie-style.

But the piece I'm most excited about?  Well, I have been searching for the perfect red trench for eons.  Partly because I have a wicked Halloween costume idea every year that never seems to come to fruition.  Mostly, though, how oh so lovely would it be in the midst of a gloomy, grey rain shower to see a vision gliding down the street in rich red?

And, finally, I found it.  With puffed sleeves to boot.  Squee!



I absolutely adore the pleating in the back, and even better, a vertical line of buttons cascades down the back of the coat between pleats (not seen in photo).  Classy with surprising, fantastical extras, it is sure to be a wonderful closet addition.

So look out summer, I will certainly be making some statements this season. 

And this Halloween?  Oh yes - Carmen Sandiego costume, here I come!!!!

Chanel quilted bag, Chanel.com
Kate Spade NY quilted leather shoulder bag, Neimanmarcus.com
Joan Rivers 'Make a Statement' 28" necklace with 3" extender, Iqvc.com
Beach Rays one piece polka dot swimsuit, Ideeli.com
Kenneth Cole NY cotton trench in sangria, Ideeli.com

No comments:

Post a Comment